Over the last 6 years, we have successfully completed several offshore software development projects utilizing resources from development center in Bangladesh.
Software development and support outsourcing works include:
Custom Application Development:
- Intranet & Internet facing web applications
- Complex transaction processing system
- Enterprise scale application development
- Back office applications
Full Life-cycle Product Development
- From idea to concept to marketable product development
- Both static and dynamic website development
Portal Solutions: Internet & Intranet
- eCommerce portal
Systems Modernization & Transformation Services
- Transformation of legacy systems to cutting-edge web technologies l
Infrastructure & Facilities:
- Periscope’s primary development center is located in the prime and diplomatic area of Dhaka city, capital of Bangladesh.
- Power: Uninterrupted power supply through national grid and high-capacity generator backup
- Dedicated 1 MBps broadband connection (expandable)
- Server Environment:
- Dedicated server room with restricted access
- Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers with Hyper-V virtualization
- 72U Rack, KVM switch, Online UPS, and other peripherals
- Workstations & Development Environment:
- Windows & Linux workstations with open source & licensed software from Microsoft, etc.
Outsourcing Project Collaboration:
Periscope Outsourcing in Media:
- Crain’s New York Business (www.crainsnewyork.com): Periscope profiled in article “Outsourcing moves to Bangladesh”
- Financial Express Bangladesh (http://www.thefinancialexpressbd.com/search_index.php?page=detail_news&news_id=23957)
- DANIDA Press Release for B2B Partnership between Periscope and Contest Denmark: http://www.ambdhaka.um.dk/en/menu/TheEmbassy/News/SophisticatedTimeRegistrationSystemsFromBangladesh.htm
Why Periscope for Outsourcing:
- Strong management with global consulting experience & experienced technical resources
- Pre-defined service level agreement and periodic review/sign-off in different phases
- SharePoint collaboration
- Daily / Weekly package drops in shared FTP site
- Weekly status reporting & management scorecard
- Constant interaction through: IM, Emails, Conference calls etc.
- Multiple working shifts to provide support coverage during critical stages
- Infrastructure redundancy to avoid unexpected delivery slippage
- Detailed configuration / change management processes & periodic review
- Periodic quality review (coding standards, issue resolution, documentation etc.)
- Dedicated account manager in the USA and Bangladesh
- Contract flexibility – various models
- Free POC (Proof of Concept) for eligible products – 1 to 2 weeks
Key Aspects of Outsourcing
We have carefully identified the critical success factors in a typical offshore model and built upon that to form a team that connects well with clients’ resources and needs. Realizing the need for escalation points in the US as well as the necessity to have a strong coordination model with any software outsourcing project, we deploy dedicated account managers for our US-based clients. And we offer a support model where clients’ issues are addressed immediately when the need arises.
Typical project team is formed with:
- US-Based Project Lead
- US-Based Dedicated Account Manager
- Offshore Project Manager/Lead
- Technical Architect/Lead
- Offshore Programmers/Developers
Industry-leading practices and methodologies are used for project management at Periscope. During or prior to project initiation, a decision is made on what would be the extent of Periscope’s involvement in the project. Based on that, various methods/techniques are used to devise the most effective project management approach that ensures overall success – often, an agile development approach.
Following are few aspects of typical project management work at Periscope:
- Work Coordination Plan:Significant attention is given to derive a work coordination plan that yields highest level of productivity. Few important aspects of the coordination includes:
- Daily/Weekly code drop in shared ftp site (ftp.periscope-inc.com)
- Real-time interaction between client and Periscope resources (minimum of few hours every day) using IM, WebEx, conference calls, etc.
- Milestones/Checkpoint Sign-off: Periscope obtains sign-off from the client after each milestone is completed and a formal review is done to improve existing processes.
- Weekly Management Scorecard:
- Frequent intermediate deliveries with working functionality. This enables the customer to get working software earlier and enables the project to change its requirements according to changing needs.
- Microsoft .Net Technologies (ASP .NET, C#, VSTO, .netNuke, etc.)
- Java, J2EE, JSF / MyFaces, IceFaces, A4J, PrimeFaces, Hibernate etc.
- CMS (Joomla, WordPress, .netNuke)
- PHP (CakePHP, etc.)
- Twitter Bootstrap
- SharePoint 2007 and 2010
- Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- WebLogic, Apache Tomcat, IIS
- Crystal Reports, Jasper/iReports, SQR
- Gupta, Cobol
Sample Offshore Works
Task Order & Contract Management System
Resume Management System
Account Control System Modernization
Major financial services company had been using a legacy corporate trust information and risk management system, which was developed in GUPTA (front and back-end). Due to the business & technological strategy to conform to web based solutions, the company wanted to transform this desktop application into a cutting-edge web-based application to be more flexible with their business works as well as technology updates.
- Analyze existing desktop GUPTA application’s business processes, code, reports.
- Design web application architecture, database architecture, and technical processes
- Develop transformation techniques for each module/functionality
- Develop Web-front using JSP/JSF (to match with desktop GUI)
- Develop ORM (Hibernate) objects
- Develop Java application code for all modules/functionalities
- Develop more than 30 reports in Jasper Reporting Tool that were previously accomplished in GUPTA Report Builder
- Execute unit and system test of the application
- Deliver the finished application to the client for further testing (UAT) and production deployment
Internship Management System
Internship management system allows organizations to better manage and streamline the internship application process. The system has a role-based access control. The system is designed to be accessed via the company intranet page and as well as extranet.
Internship management system developed using PHP (CakePHP), Apache and MySQL at the back-end. Key functionality of this full-featured internship management system is below:
- Secure Internship Projects Management Area
- Project Catalog
- Manage projects: cloning capability
- Role-based access security
- Manage applications
- Attachments capability
- Approval process
- Applicants (public facing)
- Register/Create an account
- View project listing w/ drill-down capabilities
- Project search
- Project navigation
- Attachments capability